Please note that in the event of future CV-19 Government restrictions we may need to change / cancel events at short notice.
- This event has passed.
HWBKA Beginners’ Course – Session 3
April 10, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Session 3 - Saturday 10th of April (Slab Castle Apiary or in your / your tutor’s apiary)
- Inside the hive - An introduction to live bees and handling them.
- Situation of the Apiary and the hives.
- Apiary hygiene.
- Apiary 'etiquette', clothing, and equipment.
- Attitude towards opening hives.
- Demonstration of space and the moveable frame hive principle.
- Identify the 3 castes of bees, honeycomb, pollen. Open and capped brood, etc.
- Appearance of normal heathy & chilled brood.
- Foraging activity of bees.
- Organisation of the colony, division of labour, workers various tasks, dance communications. Wax making & comb
- building, storing nectar & pollen, identify nectar sources from pollen loads. Inspecting a colony, handling & record keeping.
- Temperament and productivity of different strains of bee.
- Note marked Queens