Please note that in the event of future CV-19 Government restrictions we may need to change / cancel events at short notice.
- This event has passed.
HWBKA Beekeeping Course – Session 9
July 31, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Session 9 - Saturday 31st July (Horsted Green Apiary or in your / your tutor’s apiary)
- Honey extraction.
- Treatments for Varroa.
- Methods of clearing bees from supers:
- Clearing boards
- Chemical fumigants
- Brushing bees off
- Blowers used by professionals
- Pros & Cons of each method
- Re-arranging full & part filled combs
- Estimating what could be taken.
- Practice “hefting” a hive – to gauge when supers are full
- Potential of robbing & preventing spread of diseases.
- After the honey is extracted the supers are still very wet with honey & given back to the bees to clean up.
- Importance of keeping supers to the same hive they came off.
- Honey will attract robbers & wasps. Reduce entrance to assist guarding bees.
- Only replace the supers late in the afternoon / early evening to minimise robbing.