Please note that although CV-19 Government restrictions are still in place we still plan to run some events where possible, but be aware these may need to changed / cancelled at short notice.
HWBKA Beekeeping Course – Session 9
July 31 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Session 9 - Saturday 31st July (Horsted Green Apiary or in your / your tutor’s apiary)
- Honey extraction.
- Treatments for Varroa.
- Methods of clearing bees from supers:
- Clearing boards
- Chemical fumigants
- Brushing bees off
- Blowers used by professionals
- Pros & Cons of each method
- Re-arranging full & part filled combs
- Estimating what could be taken.
- Practice “hefting” a hive – to gauge when supers are full
- Potential of robbing & preventing spread of diseases.
- After the honey is extracted the supers are still very wet with honey & given back to the bees to clean up.
- Importance of keeping supers to the same hive they came off.
- Honey will attract robbers & wasps. Reduce entrance to assist guarding bees.
- Only replace the supers late in the afternoon / early evening to minimise robbing.