Please note that although CV-19 Government restrictions are still in place we still plan to run some events where possible, but be aware these may need to changed / cancelled at short notice.
- This event has passed.
HWBKA Beekeeping Course – Session 6
May 22 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Session 6 - Saturday 22nd May (Slab Castle Apiary or in your / your tutor’s apiary )
- Making increase; Swarms & Swarming.
- Natural swarms / Shook Swarm.
- Use of nuclei.
- Finding the Queen.
- Two methods of swarm control; Artificial swarm & Queen-right nucleus
- Taking the Queen out on a nucleus.
- Dealing with Swarming.
- Signs indicating swarming has taken place.
- Dealing with the colony that has swarmed.
- Collection of swarms.
- Bees in buildings.
- Capturing a swarm. Hiving & feeding.
- Other seasonal routine jobs: supering, comb replacement, sacrificial drone comb,
- Practise handling bees.