Please note that although CV-19 Government restrictions are still in place we still plan to run some events where possible, but be aware these may need to changed / cancelled at short notice.
HWBKA Beekeeping Course – Session 5
May 8 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Session 5 - Saturday 8th May (Slab Castle Apiary or in your / your tutor’s apiary )
- Inspecting the colony. Handling bees
- Activity at entrance.
- Attitude to opening and inspecting hives.
- Use of the smoker.
- Bee space.
- Comb: Worker cells Drone cells
- 3 castes: Queen, Workers,
- Stores: Nectar, Capped honey,
- Appearance of healthy brood and cappings
- Eggs, and Larvae (open brood)
- Sealed worker brood. Sealed drone brood
- Common early season brood problems.
- Chilled brood? Chalk brood? Bald brood? Wax moth?
- Colony organisation (brood nest development, location of pollen & honey stores, etc.)
- Division of labour – Examples of worker tasks / activities in the hive
- Cleaning & polishing cells
- Wax making & comb building.
- Storing nectar & pollen.
- Exchanging food.
- Feeding larvae.
- Feeding the queen.
- Dance communications.
- Queen egg laying.